Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Sonnet Breakaway 550W vs Razer Core X: Noise Levels

Sonnet Breakaway 550W vs Razer Core X: Noise Levels  

RSS

(@reid_sox-harris)

I'm planning on getting either the Sonnet Breakaway 550W or the Razer Core X to go with my late 2016 MBP running Mojave, and pairing it with a RX580 (or 1060 6gb, still doing research). I want to go for the Core X because I prefer how it looks; with these two the price difference is negligible ($280 for the Sonnet or $270 for the Core, there's a student discount on the Core that I would take advantage of), and aside from that I have not found too many other differences between the two. 

My one holdback from getting the Core now is I'm concerned about noise levels. Right now, my computer setup is in my bedroom, and there currently are no fans or other moving parts to make noise. I know getting an eGPU will make things louder when I'm actually using them, and that is no concern. However, at idle, when I'd be sleeping, I want the setup to maintain its silence (or as close to it as I can). I've read that the Sonnet is very quiet, and the Core is similarly quiet, but at the same time I've read differing accounts for both, which has made me confused. Which would be the quieter enclosure at idle?

Thank you!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

I can only tell you about the BB550.

It is very very quiet when idle, and the front light can easily be disconnected for bed-room use.
You can do a significant modification to it w/o voiding warranty. 
The way I see it, the advantages over Core X are:

1) BB can use the LC’ed card easier, for quieter operation.
2) It is shorter (but wider). I like having bit more space around the GPU.

The #1 isn’t really matter for RX580, nor 1060. It was a deciding factor for me since I do use LC. 
The #2 might give very minor advantage for air cooled cards. But it’s more a personal taste I think.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
(@reid_sox-harris)

I like that it's quiet, and the detachable light is a definite plus that I didn't realize could happen. Now I'm more edging towards the Sonnet, thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote