Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 => In search of first GPU (nVIDIA)

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 => In search of first GPU (nVIDIA)  

of  2
  RSS

cement_head
(@cement_head)

Hello,

Just bought a Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 enclosure ($299.99) - seems like a good deal, based on the reviews on the Buyer's Guide section of this website.  Am looking for a GPU; preferably nVIDIA; that won't break the bank - will strongly consider used GPUs.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a System76 laptop (it's a bespoke/customised CLEVO N130BU) with i7-8565U @ 1.8 Ghz x 8 with 32 GB RAM; 250 GB OS NVMe SSD and a 2TB HDD (data and/or </home>). The onboard GPU is Intel UHD WHL GT2, but I'm interested in doing some basic CUDA programming (I have a serious system at work for computation, but it would be nice to be able to code test) as well as lightening the load on my onboard GPU for video/movies/games and shifting the GPU tasks to a discrete card.

Any used cards recommendations?

Any new cards that aren't crazy priced?

Thanks!

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 | eGPU : nVIDIA GTX960 | iGPU : UDH 620 WHL (GT2)

Pressy and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Tom B
(@tom_b)
Eminent Member

@cement_head, Will a card of these dimensions fit into it: 336 x 140 x 61 mm?

TomB, AW51m R2 with an Akitio Node Titan (3080 OC inside). Why? Because I like having a Desktop At home and Gaming on the go but, I hate using P2P to share files.

ReplyQuote
Tom B
(@tom_b)
Eminent Member

As for cards not crazy over priced... Good luck with that, your best bet is to camp out side of an electronics store or local Mom & Pops, its going to be this way till 2022 maybe 2023 when the bit coin mining bubble pops. To be honest, its cheaper to buy a pre-build with a 3060 in it than getting a 3060.

TomB, AW51m R2 with an Akitio Node Titan (3080 OC inside). Why? Because I like having a Desktop At home and Gaming on the go but, I hate using P2P to share files.

ReplyQuote
cement_head
(@cement_head)

@tom_b, Here's the compatibility chart - it's quite extensive: https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/Compatibility_Graphics_Cards.pdf

ReplyQuote
cement_head
(@cement_head)

@tom_b, Yeah, I wouldn't go that crazy (30 series) - think I'll start with a used GTX 1050 or something along those lines...

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

@tom_b, Yeah, I've noticed that too. I wonder how many gaming systems are being bought, card pulled, and then the rest just discarded or sold in parts?

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

cement_head and Tom B liked
ReplyQuote
Tom B
(@tom_b)
Eminent Member

@cement_head, Crud... Trying to find an EGPU that can fit a MSI Suprim X 3080, I had to gut my razer core x, its sitting in a hobby case, and it looks terrible. It was the only card I could find at MSRP.

ReplyQuote
cement_head
(@cement_head)

Okay - bought a GTX 1050Ti (used) on eBAY for $200; so not the best, but should get me through this bitcoin bubble and then I'll get something much, much better. This is the card, I'm going to start with: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Geforce-Phoenix-Graphics-PH-GTX1050TI-4G/dp/B01M360WG6

Won't be as good as work, but it'll let me do some coding - I have a liquid cooled dual RTX TITAN setup there for GPU and CUDA heavy lifting.

odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @cement_head

Okay - bought a GTX 1050Ti (used) on eBAY for $200; so not the best, but should get me through this bitcoin bubble and then I'll get something much, much better. This is the card, I'm going to start with: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Geforce-Phoenix-Graphics-PH-GTX1050TI-4G/dp/B01M360WG6

Won't be as good as work, but it'll let me do some coding - I have a liquid cooled dual RTX TITAN setup there for GPU and CUDA heavy lifting.

That's a great eGPU, I have the 550W (pretty much the same just different PSU). I probably should have gotten the 650W to start with as I want to get a 3080 when all this craziness settles a bit and I probably will need to buy a 600-700W SFF PSU for it. The 750W didn't exist back when I bought mine though.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tom B
(@tom_b)
Eminent Member

@odin, Yah, I was able to get my 3080 by pure, uncut, and straight from the source luck. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2