Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 => In search of first GPU (nVIDIA)

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 => In search of first GPU (nVIDIA)  

of  2
  RSS

cement_head
(@cement_head)

Well, I spent about five to six hours yesterday evening trying to get this to work.  Doesn't.

Sending the enclosure back to Amazon; the card I bought from eBAY was out of stock (getting a automatic refund); the card I borrowed from a friend GTX960 is being returned.

Looks as though Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't play nice with the Sonnet as an eGPU.  Guess until an enclosure manufacturer makes a dedicated LINUX compatible unit with drivers, YMMV a lot between laptops, enclosures, distros and cards.

Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 | eGPU : nVIDIA GTX960 | iGPU : UDH 620 WHL (GT2)

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @cement_head

Well, I spent about five to six hours yesterday evening trying to get this to work.  Doesn't.

Sending the enclosure back to Amazon; the card I bought from eBAY was out of stock (getting a automatic refund); the card I borrowed from a friend GTX960 is being returned.

Looks as though Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't play nice with the Sonnet as an eGPU.  Guess until an enclosure manufacturer makes a dedicated LINUX compatible unit with drivers, YMMV a lot between laptops, enclosures, distros and cards.

I never tried to get my Breakaway 550 + RTX 2070 working in Linux as I didn't really care about the eGPU under Linux. I basically only use it to game in Win 10.  I could give it a shot and see if there's something that can be done.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cement_head
(@cement_head)

@odin, Digging around the web, it looks as if the 350 box worked, but the 550 had issues, and maybe the 750/750ex also has same.  It was also hard to judge because I couldn't test with a newer card, bcs I simply can't buy a newer card for under $3000 and I don't have $3K for a test.  It's a shame the RTX3060 ($329.00 MSRP) unit isn't available.  When that card is purchasable, I might try again with a different enclosure.

The gswitch script seemed to work well - but the kernel tweaks seem to invite a company to develop a "driver" or else Application that takes care of all this...

Sonnet Breakaway Box 750 | eGPU : nVIDIA GTX960 | iGPU : UDH 620 WHL (GT2)

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @cement_head

@odin, Digging around the web, it looks as if the 350 box worked, but the 550 had issues, and maybe the 750/750ex also has same.  It was also hard to judge because I couldn't test with a newer card, bcs I simply can't buy a newer card for under $3000 and I don't have $3K for a test.  It's a shame the RTX3060 ($329.00 MSRP) unit isn't available.  When that card is purchasable, I might try again with a different enclosure.

The gswitch script seemed to work well - but the kernel tweaks seem to invite a company to develop a "driver" or else Application that takes care of all this...

Ahh, if you've already done a bunch of research into it I won't bother. I was dual booting Fedora and Win 10 for a long time but I recently blew away Fedora I wasn't using it as much as my macbook for real work.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2