To buy a GTX 1070 Superclocked... or to buy a Aorus and rip out the GPU...

Notifications
Clear all

To buy a GTX 1070 Superclocked... or to buy a Aorus and rip out the GPU...  

RSS

sayunkim
(@sayunkim)

I just ordered a Mantiz Venus, which should be arriving in a few weeks.  Now it's time to buy a GPU!

I've already decided that I want a Nvidia GTX 1070, but the question is:

• Do I buy a "EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition" for ~$500 USD?

or

• Do I buy an Aorus and pull out the GTX 1070 in that?  (Is it possible to pull it out and use it i the Venus?)

Because they are around the same price, I figure I could buy the Aorus, pull out the 1070 and use it in my Venus, and then sell the Aorus (maybe to someone on this forum, even) who wanted it just for the enclosure.  However, I know the 1070 in the Aorus is a mini version, how much of a performance issue different would there be?  Should I just get the EVGA standalone?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Over Thunderbolt 3 eGPU connection, I don't think there's much of a difference between the two GTX 1070 variants. If prices are close, I'd say get the AORUS 1070 Gaming Box. Keep the GPU then sell the enclosure as you said for a reasonable amount.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@claudiu_watfa)

I want the aorus enclosure , WhatsApp me +40  764 254 638 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Estimable Member

I'd return the Mantiz and get the Aorus. Cheaper.

Of course, if you need the Eth / SATA then yeah, you need the Mantiz; otherwise it's the same deal, basically.

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
sayunkim
(@sayunkim)

Posted by: switch

I'd return the Mantiz and get the Aorus. Cheaper.

Of course, if you need the Eth / SATA then yeah, you need the Mantiz; otherwise it's the same deal, basically.

I was actually just going to ask this question.  If there isn't much of a difference in terms of performance, what would be the reason for going to the Venus instead of the Aorus?

I already have a USB3.0->Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and although the internal SATA would be nice, I think I could probably live without.  Especially when the Venus costs $969:  ($469 + $500 for the GPU), and the Aorus costs $500...

PS.  I'm planning on using it with my 2017 15" Macbook Pro (in OSX).  Doesn't seem like there have been many issues reported outside the usual for this box.... am I correct in thinking that?  Would the 100w charging have any potential issues with a Macbook that is designed to be charged at 87w?  The USB-C standard should limit it at 87w, correct?

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Estimable Member

USB-PD over USB-C is negotiated. So no worries (in theory). HP for instance is totally anal about it (for some models, only HP charger used to be able to charge over USB).

I personally like the Mantiz, but it's too big and I don't believe there's a lot of benefit of having a PCH-based video solution for gaming. The GTX 1070 mini 8G is the absolute top I'd go for an eGPU. The big boys (1080 and up) are for hardcore people who have x8 slots to the CPU (SLI!). And game at >1440p. Still, as a docking solution it's stellar. You have to be honest with yourself: do you really NEED the docking capabilities or do you simply want to game on your laptop?

If on a budget, it's all a no-brainer: get the Aorus. It costs as much as a Mantiz + GT 1040 Smile

If gaming and no need for docking BS, then get the Aorus. The porformance difference between the Mini OC and the Superclocked version is really offset by the lack of proper bandwidth. You will see little if any difference for almost twice the cost.

If docking is a must, then go Mantiz. You will shell out more cash but if you need the functionality, it's ok.

DISCLAIMER: I am basing my assumption on the fact that Gigabyte will release a better firmware, as Mantiz has done in the past (some bug with Host-to-Device bandwidth). Though I incline to agree with their representative: the bandwidth doesn't matter as much as the overhead and latency of TB3 as a protocol. Monitoring bandwidth with GPU-Z seems to prove it.

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
sayunkim
(@sayunkim)

That's it, you've convinced me.  I think I'm going to cancel the Venus order and grab a Aorus!

I'm realizing that the only difference in docking ability, the SATA connection, can be solved by a USB 3.0 enclosure connected to the back of the Aorus anyway.  I was planning on getting a 5TB 2.5" drive to put in the Venus, I'll just buy the external version of that and stick it on the USB port on the Aorus.  I doubt that the connection will make that much of a difference on a spinning 2.5" drive, so... problem solved. Smile

I think your point about how anything over the GTX 1070 mini over a thunderbolt 3 connection is probably not worth it is a good point.  Thank you for the advice!  That cleared things up a bit in terms of a decision.  I think now I just need to sort though the how on getting it all set up.  It sounds like there are still some sticky points in getting OSX to work with it smoothly.  I plan to document out the journey, in hopes that it helps others too.  Thanks for the insight!  It really helps.

For the record, my intended use case is as follows:

• Planning on using the Aorus over Thunderbolt 3, on a 15" Macbook Pro, 2017 edition.  (Should be arriving in the next week or so.)
  • Predominately using it in OSX (90% of the time) for:
    • RAW photo editing/processing (Lightroom/Photoshop mostly, though I've heard the GPU wont speed up things that much depending on what I'm doing)
    • Occasional Video Editing (Final Cut Pro... maybe.  Probably looking at Premiere for GPU compatibility reasons)
    • Playing around in 3d rendering software (like DAZ 3d Studio)
    • Driving an Ultrawide WQHD display (When I can afford one)
  • Sometimes dropping into Windows 10 via Bootcamp to play Overwatch (on the rare occasions I will get the time...)
  • Single cable "dock" functionality - I like the idea of plugging in one cable, and having it charge, connect to my display, provide GPU acceleration, and connect some external storage
  • Running the occasional benchmark/test for those curious on this forum. Smile

I'm excited to start the experimenting!  Hopefully my journey is useful to others as well.  ^^

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

That sounds like a good plan. One precaution is that there's no clear eGPU support for Nvidia cards in macOS High Sierra. Therefore, you may have to use your mid-2017 MacBook Pro with 10.12.6 for a long time in order to retain eGPU functionality with the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box.

Goalque's automate-eGPU script makes eGPU installation for 10.12.6 incredibly simple and quick. I got my 1070 Gaming Box last night and it was up and running within 10 minutes of plugging into a mid-2017 13" MacBook Pro (10.12.6).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote