To future eGPU users — do your homework first!

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] To future eGPU users — do your homework first!  

of  17
  RSS

BrowneyFolf
(@browneyfolf)

Hello! This is my first post here, I've been thinking about getting used base Mac Mini from 2018, it has i3 8'th gen, 8gb of ram (which in the future i'd swap for 16GB) and 256GB SSD + used Akitio Node TB3 and used GTX 1060 3GB.

I've done some research and found out that AMD cards on bootcamp are pretty unstable and geforce is the way to go. Is that true? Do Nvidia cards work without any issues like error 12 on AMD cards?

I must add i'm pretty fresh with whole eGPU stuff but i'm pretty good with computers, i built about 15 PCs in the  past.

I would use macOS with integrated intel gpu because i'm not gonna do any video editing etc, i plan on installing windows 10 via bootcamp on second partition and play games from time to time on weekends. That's all.

I've read somewhere that i should connect mac through HDMI to my monitor for macOS and tb3 -> eGPU -> DP -> monitor for Windows since iGPU should be disabled.

My question for this is.. Will boot menu work when i hold option?

Will i need to power off and On eGPU every time i want to run windows/macOS?

I know these questions are probably simple to answer but i just want confirmation that when i plug everything, install windows etc, it'll "just work"

I'd be really thankful for any kind of feedback!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@browneyfolf

Nah, not really. But people here would help you through the difficulty of getting a Windows setup running, since this is a DIY based community.

Are you sure you don’t want a PS5 or X Box Series X, though? Since you only plan on gaming?

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@browneyfolf, have a browse through the builds section and filter by the specific parts you want to use to get an idea of what to expect. 

a bit like doing some homework... 😉 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jermu99
(@jermu99)

Hello! New to this forum and first post from me. So i just got myself new lenovo yoga slim7 13.3 will list the specs below. Atm i yet cant connect external monitor but in future will get myself one. I just need info for that My laptop is compatibable with Razer Core X and how hard the seting up would be. Other plan is Aorus gaming box 1070 but how would it be working with this laptop how much work i need to do to get it working wit all the firmwares etc the guy selling it says that he needed to downgrade windows etc to get it to work...

Specs:

• Model: Yoga Slim 7 13ITL05
  • Screen: 13,3" QHD (2560 x 1600) Low Power IPS 16:10, 300 nit, Dolby Vision, 100% sRGB, kiiltävä lasipinta
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-1165G7 (2,8 - 4,7 GHz, 4 ydintä, 12 Mt, Hyper-Threading)
  • Ram: 16 Gt LPDDR4X-4266, ei laajennettavissa
  • GPU: integroitu Intel Iris Xe Graphics
  • SSD: 512 Gt SSD (M.2 PCIe NVMe)
  • Verkko-ominaisuudet: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax, 2x2), Bluetooth 5.1
  • Inputs: 2 x USB4 40 Gbps / Thunderbolt 4 (Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort 1.4), 1 x USB 3.2 Type-C Gen 2 (Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort 1.4)
  • Akku: 50 Wh Li-Ion Rapid Charge Boost, kesto jopa 8 tuntia
  • Virtalähde: 65 W USB-C Slim

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)
Eminent Member

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

I am not sure if downgrading windows is an issue anymore. Some windows versions caused troubles with eGPUs but I am not sure about that.

Connecting a Razer Core X to the Lenovo should be fairly easy as there are some quite similar builds. My Lenovo Yoga c940 detected the Razer Core X Chorma right from the start.

Best regards

phila

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

Jermu99 liked
ReplyQuote
Jermu99
(@jermu99)

@phila-delphia, Thanks for reply how would u say the aorus works with thunderbolt 4. Same goes for razer core x should i wait for thunderbolt 4 models from variety of manufactures or go with it now?

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)
Eminent Member

@jermu99, Hi there! As thunderbolt only provides some specific advantages and is not really faster in terms of eGPU performance, I think you are good to go with a TB3 Dock now.

You might want to check out soe builds that people posted on the forums. As far as I know your CPU has the PCH biuld in which helps the epgu perform better... As for Razer oder Aorus - I think it depends on what you want. Razer provides better upgradability but has NO extra USB ports while the Aorus Gaming Box is hard to upgade but offers those USB ports -> If you want to use your egou enclosure as a dock you might want to go with the Aorus Box or (if you want to spend the extra $s) better yet go with the RAZER CORE X CHROMA that offers extra USB Ports AND an ethernet jack!

Best regards

phila

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

Jermu99 liked
ReplyQuote
DragosS
(@dragoss)

Hello.I have the Dell 7577 device, I want to connect external video card from Tb3 port(R43SG-TB3). Would the performance values ​​be satisfactory ?

ReplyQuote
Hasan Aydin
(@hasan_aydin)

Hello guys, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6. I bought carbon because of thunderboltport. As far as I know carbon x1 g6 is one of the best ultrabook for egpu option. I think my pc has 4pcı lanes and its good because I'm not planning to use egpu with external monitor. For me, portability is very important. My cpu is intel i5 8350u. As far as my research, aorous gaming box is one of the best option in terms of portability and stability. My purpose of buying egpu is, I would like play some games. These are not that heavy games. I play like cs go (now Im getting 50-60 fps, its quite low). Also I may need gpu power for programming purpose in the future. I was thinking to buy aurous 1070 or 1080 gaming box. I have got several questions. 1. Sould I buy aorous 1070 or 1080 ? I can buy other egpus If you can give advise me(Portability and stability is importnat for me). If I get egpu will I be able to get like around 150 fps in csgo ? My cpu is not that good, will it be bottleneck, its already overheating sometimes ? My budget is around 400 dollar. I am lack of knowledge in egpu world. I afraid to buy something and it will not work stable or it will not have any benefit. Can you please give advises for me with considering my conditions. Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
Donleavy
(@donleavy)
Eminent Member

Hello all

I have a Razer Core X and a PowerColor Radeon Rx 5700XT + Mac Mini 2018 + Bootcamp Windows. 
I am struggling to make it work in Windows! I am not done working on it, before I continue, I would like to clarify: 

If I buy an Nvidia card instead, will it most likely just work in both OSX and Windows (Bootcamp)? 

I hope you can help,

Br, Donleay

Mac Mini 2018 + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT + OSX Big Sur + Bootcamp Windows 10 20H2 v2 build 19042.631

ReplyQuote
 of  17