To future eGPU users — do your homework first!

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] To future eGPU users — do your homework first!  

of  22
  RSS

Brahim
(@brahim)

Hi!

I was about to buy the Lenovo dock with 1050 ti : https://www.amazon.fr/Lenovo-G0-a10170ul-Thunderbolt-Graphique-daccueil/dp/B079JFW3YT

But it sold out everywhere in europe.

As far as you know, is there any alternative out there ?

I saw the acer : https://egpu.io/testing-acer-graphics-dock-xps-13-9360/
But it's old too.

Thanks !

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
AAE
 AAE
(@aae)

@tamas_bohacs, If you're looking for both Mac and Windows compatibility, the attached link has all of the macOS compatible cards, which would also work with Windows. Most of them are a few generations old at this point, so hopefully you can find a good deal on one: Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

@brahim, the Apple recommended enclosures are listed here, though there are others that would work, I'm sure: Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

2018 MBP 15" 2.9 GHz/1TB/32GB + Sonnet Breakaway 650 + ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega64 8GB OC Edition + LG 34" Ultrawide via display port

ReplyQuote
jay54654
(@jay54654)

Have been thinking about my original post and have changed the graphics card for an RX 570. I am still waiting for the Akitio Node to arrive.

But I want to make sure I have the right idea about what I am doing.

I want to use the Node for the internal screen on my iMac (late 2015). Is it possible to do that or do you need to use an external monitor?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
vedant dave
(@vedant_dave)

Currently, I have an HP laptop that came with a Windows version and I changed it to Ubuntu 20.04 right now, The hardware specification is Processor: i5 85h generation. (i5 8250u) which is 4 core 8 thread processor. . Ram: 8 GB (DDRM 4). Which e GPU I should use which can compatible with a laptop. I need it for gaming as well as model training purposes. Thank you for your time. 

ReplyQuote
Karol
(@karol)

Hey! Tired of a constant fan noise I've started to look into eGPU as a solution for overheating. Long story short my machine turns to a starting jet as soon as I plug in an external display, now running a 5k display through thunderbolt cable but previously got similar issues with a standard 27" through HDMI. 

My key requirements are silence, and low power consumption, I don't so much about performance, it only needs to be capable of running a single 5k display, I don't use the machine for gaming. The perfect one would be a fanless unit powered via Thunderbolt 3 and with a thunderbolt 3 output to power the laptop.

• Machine: MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • Display: LG UltraFine 5k

Thank you in advance for recommendations or any other advice.

ReplyQuote
Drtung2708
(@drtung2708)

In my opion, Blackmagic eGPU is perfect for what you need 

2018 15" MacBook Pro [8th,6C,H] + RX580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 21H2

ReplyQuote
filippo_1980
(@filippo_1980)

What is the best GPU I can add on a Razer X case for my MacbookPro Retina mid 2014, 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

ReplyQuote
K Ws
 K Ws
(@k_ws)

Hi I'm totally new here, can somone tell me is there any chance to build egpu with MSI GL62 6QD

GeForce 950M

i5-6300HQ 

12GB RAM

WIN 10

without thunderbold, I think I have USB-C?

Thanks for any aswers.

ReplyQuote
Syafiq Izwan Kassim
(@syafiq_izwan_kassim)

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm fairly new to eGPU world and I've never ever in possession of any proven-compatible devices to egpu and likewise.

So as per title, I notice that this spesific model has Thunderbolt 4. With it being an AIO, I wonder if it's possible to hookup an eGPU to it to increase it's video-related performance? I know that it hasn't been proven/tested before, especially on an AIO. But what are the chances?

Below is the spec of the targetted device:

Processor               : Intel® Core i5-1135G7 processor (0.9 GHz up to 2.4GHz, 8 MB cache, quad-core/8-thread, 12 W to 

28 W)                                 

Graphics                 :  Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics    

Screen                     : 23.8" 1920x1080 resolution, LED-backlit LCD 

RAM                        : 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz Sodimm (upgradable to 16GB*2) 

Storage                   : 512GB PCIE SSD 

Size                         : 489.9 (W) x 37.1 (D) x 379.58 (H) mm 

Weight                    : 6KG

FOC                        : Acer Wireless keyboard and mouse  

Others : 

• Windows 10 Home             

• Panel Tiltable from -5° to 25°

• Touch support: Yes (Optional)

• Built-in stereo speakers 

• DTS® Audio 

• Integrated 1.0 MP HD webcam with 2 stereo microphones 

• 802.11ax/ac/a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth®5.1 LE                                                                 

• Front/Side I/O connectors :

Card reader • USB 2.0 Type A port(s): 1 

• Rear I/O connectors • LAN port(s): 1 • HDMI port(s): 2 (in/out) • Audio jack (s): 1 • USB Type-C port(s):

Port 1

- USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps): 1

- USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps): 1

- DisplayPort over USB-C: 1

Thunderbolt 4: 1

- USB charging 5 V; 3 A: 1

• USB 3.2 Gen1 Type A port(s): 1

• USB 3.2 Gen2 Type A port(s): 2                                                  

• Vesa mount kit (100mm x 100mm)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

• 3 Years Onsite Local Limited Warranty

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@syafiq_izwan_kassim, I double checked the model you listed, and you are correct. Your system has all the necessary hardware to run a Thunderbolt eGPU. The 11th Gen Intel CPU's are excellent and you should see a substantial increase in graphics performance, depending on what GPU you install.

If you have any questions regarding what eGPU you should get, feel free to ask.

If you end up acquiring an eGPU, make sure you create a build and post it here. It is always good to see new builds, and everyone here has a lot of experience in making sure your system runs as best that it can. 

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 20H2

2018 Intel NUC8i5BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 LTSC // modified 1947 Philips Model 100 Radio custom NUC case [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  22