Notifications
Clear all

Vega 64 model for 2017 iMac 5k (TB3)  

of  2
  RSS

Venkman
(@venkman)

Hi everyone - 

I'm just getting into the eGPU world and I looked around in the builds - it doesn't seem like there are too many users testing with a 2017 iMac 5k. I've got the top of the line 7700k model with 2xTB3 ports.

I'm looking at this Vega 64 for external GPU rendering in C4D ProRender, not gaming.   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&cm_re=Vega_64-_-14-202-326-_-Product

The model number is "21275-03-20G"

I was looking at the Sonnet Breakaway 650, which doesn't list this model in the supported configs. It does, however list this one: "21275-02-20G"

Is it worth the risk of buying the Sonnet box and this card even though the specific model isn't listed?  Sonnet lists a few other Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 cards, but not this specific model.  Would most Vega 64 cards work and I shouldn't worry about it too much?  I only hesitate because the price is great, but the return policy isn't.

I was also considering the new Razer Core X since it also has a 650 watt power supply and seems nicely built for $100 less than sonnet, but it doesn't list specific models of cards that are supported on Mac OS.  It only lists things like "Vega 64" and "Vega 56." Do Mac users have to worry about that?

Thanks for any help!

2017 iMac 5k w/ Radeon Pro 580 and 48 GB ram, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 21275-03-20G 8GB

ReplyQuote
idontbyte
(@idontbyte)

Posted by: Venkman

Hi everyone - 

I'm just getting into the eGPU world and I looked around in the builds - it doesn't seem like there are too many users testing with a 2017 iMac 5k. I've got the top of the line 7700k model with 2xTB3 ports.

I'm looking at this Vega 64 for external GPU rendering in C4D ProRender, not gaming.   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&cm_re=Vega_64-_-14-202-326-_-Product

The model number is "21275-03-20G"

I was looking at the Sonnet Breakaway 650, which doesn't list this model in the supported configs. It does, however list this one: "21275-02-20G"

Is it worth the risk of buying the Sonnet box and this card even though the specific model isn't listed?  Sonnet lists a few other Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 cards, but not this specific model.  Would most Vega 64 cards work and I shouldn't worry about it too much?  I only hesitate because the price is great, but the return policy isn't.

I was also considering the new Razer Core X since it also has a 650 watt power supply and seems nicely built for $100 less than sonnet, but it doesn't list specific models of cards that are supported on Mac OS.  It only lists things like "Vega 64" and "Vega 56." Do Mac users have to worry about that?

Thanks for any help!

I have the sonnet breakaway box with the non-supported Asus Vega 64 Strix edition, works fine, however the box gets too hot for non-blower Vega 64 cards if you leave the side panels on so you may have to run it without the shroud. I think thermals and power are your two main considerations with Vega 64, I've switched to a Corsair SF600 PSU as well.

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Venkman
(@venkman)

Thanks, I may give it a shot, then.  The one I have in mind is a blower card, so I appreciate the warning about non-blower cards.  Good to know as I almost bought a non-blower Vega 64 on the cheap last week!

I'll report back on my success (or failure) when I get my hardware.

Is the razer core x worth trying?  Or should I just stick with the Apple suggested hardware?

2017 iMac 5k w/ Radeon Pro 580 and 48 GB ram, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 21275-03-20G 8GB

ReplyQuote
PepeCZ
(@hr1bek)
Trusted Member

Hi Venkman, for example, I bought into my family second piece "Mantiz Venus MZ-02" and before ordering I wrote "JohnyMantiz" that I want using in egpu Vega64 and he sended me second paypal link on 50dolars, and my second Mantiz I received with black PSU "Corsair SF600 600W 80 Plus Gold". All works perfect.

My Vega64 is from Powercolor (not reddragon version, original amd cooler), plus I have it little overclocked, and without any problem. 🙂

Here are photos how it looks, when I received Mantiz with better PSU.

LAPTOP = HP Spectre x360 13 Dark Ash Silver (i7-8565U, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD)
EGPU = Mantiz Venus MZ-02 Space Grey + PSU Corsair SF600 600W 80 Plus Gold
GPU = PowerColor AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2
DISPLAY = Samsung C27FG73 | ROUTER = NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800
KEYBOARD = Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum | MOUSE = Logitech G305 Recoil Black
CHAIR = DXRacer Racing OH/RV001/N
PHONE = OnePlus 6T MidnightBlack (8GB LPDDR4X, 256GB UFS2.1)

Venkman and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ballxp
(@ballxp)

Hi, Can I use sonnet 650 with 1080 Ti in order to play dota 2 and final fantasy online in MacOS? Is that possible?
I need 1080Ti because I think in 5k resolution need more GPU ram ( 11G).

I used to own PC with 1080 Ti, no problem playing in 5k at all.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: ballxp

Hi, Can I use sonnet 650 with 1080 Ti in order to play dota 2 and final fantasy online in MacOS? Is that possible?
I need 1080Ti because I think in 5k resolution need more GPU ram ( 11G).

I used to own PC with 1080 Ti, no problem playing in 5k at all.

The screen is only a small part of GPU RAM - like 1% so it shouldn't matter. There are issues with Nvidia cards and macOS and eGPUs so you should look for builds in this forum that use Nvidia in macOS to see if the issues are worth the trouble.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Venkman
(@venkman)

Update - I got the Vega 64 for $350 on Black Friday, went with the Razer Core X since it was $100 less than Sonnet's 650 watt box.

Love the Core X. Built well. easy to open and attach GPUs.

I had to update to 10.13.6 but it works wonderfully. I use it for GPU bound rendering in Cinema 4d's Pro Render. It's a lot faster now. Works without a hitch. The Core X powers down automatically when I shut my iMac off. I don't think I need to flip the power switch on the device.  I just set it up last night so more testing is in order, but it really "just works."

ReplyQuote
vbahatyrevich
(@vbahatyrevich)

Thanks for sharing Venkman!
How was your experience with hooking up this whole set up and how smoothly does it run/render?
I'm looking to get 2017 iMac Pro with Razer Core X and Nvidia GTX 2080Ti.  I work in standard C4D, but need to have support for Redshift and Octane renders.

Cheers

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
benek
(@benek)

@vbahatyrevich

I didn't think there were any Mac drivers currently available for the GTX 2080Ti…??

ReplyQuote
Venkman
(@venkman)

Posted by: vbahatyrevich

Thanks for sharing Venkman!
How was your experience with hooking up this whole set up and how smoothly does it run/render?
I'm looking to get 2017 iMac Pro with Razer Core X and Nvidia GTX 2080Ti.  I work in standard C4D, but need to have support for Redshift and Octane renders.

Cheers

It was remarkably smooth once I upgraded. The Vega 64 just shows up as a little icon in the upper right. No hacks, no scripts, no driver installs from the GPU manufacturer.   Just boot up and switch it on.

In C4d, I simply select another GPU in the preferences. I can choose one or both GPUs now.

It renders faster than before, 2x as fast, but ProRender is nowhere near the speed of Octane or redshift. It is bogged down by "compiling shaders" and "updating scene," which can take ages.  IPR is not as responsive as Octane.  ProRender will get faster with updates, as the denoiser isn't in C4d yet and ProRender has had other updates on other platforms that need to make their way to C4d's implementation.

@benek is right, though. There are no drivers for the 2080ti on Mac - at all.  There are nVidia drivers for the 10XX series up to high sierra (not Mojave), but the 20XX has no driver support from nVidia on the Mac at this time.  That youtube video you linked to does not work for 20XX series yet!

ReplyQuote
 of  2