Notifications
Clear all

Vega 64 model for 2017 iMac 5k (TB3)  

of  2
  RSS

Ryan1
(@ryan1)

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
transistorradio
(@transistorradio)

Found this thread and I have the same setup.

iMac 2017 - Retina 5K, 27-inch - 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 - 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 (yes, I know, I'm going to upgrade the ram) - Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB - Mojave 10.14.3

Then I added the Sonnet eGFX 550 paired with a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

So, I finagled the card into the machine, hooked it up via the included Thunderbolt 3 cable. The LEDs on the Vega glowing. Been using it a few days, but something just doesn't seem...right.

I recently found the script someone wrote to enable 'prefer external GPU' on all apps, and supposedly will use the iMac internal display for it.

Seems FCPX works well enough (better than the internal 580 pro, but still seems slow for what this card is. Switched to my external 2k monitor as the "main monitor" and still had the same results.

Ran Unigine Valley benchmark, was getting on average about 32-35fps. Activity monitor shows the Vega full maxed out blue bars, but I don't hear the fans going totally nuts. I took the lid off the case and I can see them spinning, but nothing crazy.

So I did the Geekbench benchmark, it scored 141038 in OpenCL (though I've read it's not optimized for OpenCL) and the Cinebench score wasn't anything super great either. (The internal Radeon 580 Pro got 112711 for reference)

Any thoughts here? This card is supposed to be a beast from what I understand. Did I do something wrong? Is something not working?

Curious what sort of mileage others have gotten out of it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2