Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Was it a mistake to buy a 980 Ti for use primarily on macOS?

Was it a mistake to buy a 980 Ti for use primarily on macOS?  

RSS

Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Eminent Member

I recently bought an Akitio Node and a GTX 980 Ti to use with a 2016 MacBook Pro. It's mostly for gaming, and I'll be doing bootcamp windows eventually. But most of the games I want to play are on macOS and aren't really that demanding, and I suspect that I'll be staying inside macOS most of the time. This is making me question the decision of buying an Nvidia card (especially an older, less supported Maxwell card), since I don't think they play too nice with macOS High Sierra. 

I wanted to get your opinions on this: did I mess up by getting a 980 Ti? Will it work on macOS, and is it easy enough to set up? And would I have been better served by getting a weaker card from AMD? I paid $260 for the (used) 980 Ti, and I think I can only get a 390X, RX 580, or R9 Fury for that price. None of the cards match the 980 Ti, but I'm not sure if that's the case on macOS. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Radeon RX 580 is a better choice. Fully supported, very fast on OpenCL too, cheaper.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Yeah, hate to say it, but a 580 would have been a much better choice since you are not going to be using Windows..

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
ricosuave0922
(@ricosuave0922)
Trusted Member

I recently went through the same thought process so i did some benchmarking. I took the GTX 1080 out of my desktop, the GTX 1070 i bought for my Akitio Node, and borrowed a Radeon RX580 (and the Radeon Pro 460 in my laptop of course). Ran the same benchmarks on all devices on multiple settings. Unigine Valley benchmarks on Ultra settings resulted in average FPS of: 71.7 on GTX1080, 72.5 on GTX1070, 65.6 on the RX 580, and 35.4 on the Pro 460. I was shocked that the 1070 out performed the 1080. Must be a TB3 bandwidth issue or something. Hope that helps give you a little reference point to make your decision on.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ray
 Ray
(@ray)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ikir

Radeon RX 580 is a better choice. Fully supported, very fast on OpenCL too, cheaper.

That's unfortunate to hear. I thought I'd really lucked out with the 980 Ti, getting 1070 level performance for hundreds less than it's current market value.

But tell me, you mentioned that an RX 580 has great OpenCL support. It's just that I won't need OpenCL support too much because I don't intend to render. I'm going to be using the eGPU primarily as a gaming card. I just intend to play most of my games in macOS. In this case, wouldn't OpenCL be useless, and the Nvidia card a better option?  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have 3x 980 Ti cards and they are very good value atm. Depending on what you use the eGPU for, older Nvidia cards don’t fall far behind the newest ones due to more mature drivers. GTX 10 series drivers in High Sierra are not good in my opinion. Here’s my AKiTiO Node + GTX 980 Ti Hybrid in action.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote