What card should I buy for 2017 13" MBP to avoid bottlenecking?

Notifications
Clear all

What card should I buy for 2017 13" MBP to avoid bottlenecking?  

RSS

PeepNSheep
(@peepnsheep)

I'm a newbie to the eGPU scene, and was doing some research last night on which graphics card to get for my eGPU setup. My mid-2017 13" MacBook Pro (Intel Iris Graphics Plus 650)doesn't exactly come with the strongest CPU (7th, 2C, U) and I was wondering about the bottlenecking problems this might cause for the graphics card. I've already decided to get an AMD card (don't want to deal with the headaches NVIDIA is supposed to cause), and I'm looking for a card that will allow me to play some lower to mid end games on my 144hz 1440p monitor without too many hiccups (probably just Minecraft + Europa Universalis 4). The only card that didn't have a garbage score for bottlenecking on an online calculator was an RX 560 , and I'm not sure if that will run what I want to run. I also saw some builds using mid to high end AMD cards like the Vega 56 /64. What AMD card would be best in my situation?

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Mid 2017 13" MBP (7th, 2C, U)

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Nvidia will prob be easier in Bootcamp (but not supported at all in macOS anymore), although with your model (I have the same) and the EFI bootloader both should be pretty straight forward. 

You can check some of my builds for an idea of performance, you can defo go higher than a 560, Vega 56 is prob the sweet spot. 

Whats your use case? I always assume its Windows gaming but I could be totally wrong.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PeepNSheep
(@peepnsheep)

@eightarmedpet, Yeah I'm going to be gaming on my Bootcamp partition, probably nothing too fancy. Do I need to use the EFI bootloader even though my MacBook doesn't have a dGPU?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@peepnsheep, it all depends if you use an external monitor... you will need ot use the bootloader to keep the iGPU enabled. From my experience its the easiest way regardless. I used to hot plug but that got boring. I think a 5600xt or 1660ti would be a good fit for your laptop.

People appear a bit reluctant to use the bootloader recently for some odd reason, its non evasive and super simple to set up (even I can do it).

This post was modified 1 month ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PeepNSheep
(@peepnsheep)

@eightarmedpet, Thanks for the advice. I've seen most builds use a non-touchbar MacBook, do I need to go through any extra steps if I have a touchbar?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote