What gear should I buy for a Macbook Pro 2017 (13-inch, Intel Core i5) for archi...

Notifications
Clear all

What gear should I buy for a Macbook Pro 2017 (13-inch, Intel Core i5) for architectural renderings?  

RSS

Filippo Muzzi
(@filippo_muzzi)

Hi everybody! I must admit that I only recently discovered that Macbooks can improve their performance by adding an eGPU, so my knowledge about it is rather minimal.

As a designer, I would need this improvement for softwares such as Cinema 4D, Vray, Photoshop, Rhino, After effects. Since I'm not expert about eGPU, I really need something that doesn't need to be hacked.

Where do I start? Which are the best and at the same time easiest eGPUs?

Do they come with a case already or do they need one?

My other question is, is there anything to be set before the softwares can use the eGPU, or is it automatic? Will Macbook choose by its own when the eGPU is needed?

Are they supported for both Catilina or Big Sur?

I'm sorry for the basic and probably stupid question, but I really need the basics.

Thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@filippo_muzzi

Big Sur and Catalina are plug and play. Big Sur has better graphics and eGPU integration.

Take a look at my build link in my signature below for an easy to assemble eGPU setup.

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote