Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
What is the best graphics card and enclosure for MacBook 15" 2016 macOS + Bootca...

What is the best graphics card and enclosure for MacBook 15" 2016 macOS + Bootcamp  

RSS

Balogh Ákos
(@balogh_akos)

I have a 2016 macbook pro 15", and a gamer PC, I decided to sell the PC and boost my macbook up, to be able to play.

What is an ideal enclosure and graphics card for me to use it in Bootcamp and macOS too (gaming on windows, coding on mac)?
I have Mojave, and I always was an NVIDA "supporter".

I would choose a gtx 1080 and a Mantiz Venus enclosure, can you suggest me better options, or better pairs (nvidia, amd, Mantiz, Razer...)

2016 Macbook Pro 15"
gtx 970

Sebastian liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Just a fact:

You can't use a GTX 1080 on Mojave. So you must use an AMD chip or a Kepler nVidia card, except you renounce using the eGPU with MacOSX. For Bootcamp only, nVidia could be the better choice.

This post was modified 7 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Seconded, 15inch 2016's are a bit of a pain from what I have read (in Bootcamp) so go Nvidia.
You dGPU will be enough for your macOS work.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Balogh Ákos
(@balogh_akos)

Thanks, and if I choose Mantiz Venus, on mac can I use the enclosure ports too, so can I disable the NVIDIA card by default and be able to use the case's ports (usb, lan, sata, power)

2016 Macbook Pro 15"
gtx 970

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Balogh Ákos

Thanks, and if I choose Mantiz Venus, on mac can I use the enclosure ports too, so can I disable the NVIDIA card by default and be able to use the case's ports (usb, lan, sata, power)

If you want the absolutely best, get both nVidia and AMD.
I did this for my iMac and it works fantastic.
I boot with AMD when I am in OS X, and nVidia with Bootcamp.

Extra ports are troublesome, I hear.
I think the only enclosure that you can reliably use the extra ports is Core v2. It has two controllers.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote