Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
What monitor for 2020?

What monitor for 2020?  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

So it looks like I have finally sold my LG Ultrafine, despite how much I love it in macOS games dont run great in Loopback and I hate booting into windows (want to reduce doing so).

I feel I posted something similar, or have read other threads a while back but can't find them.

Googling gets me some real low quality "best of" generic lists which looks scraped from one core source, or at best plagiarised.

My ideal monitor would be 27-32inch, look nice, 4K and 75HZ or above when I want to lower the resolution and play games.

I'm Looking at the LG range but a bit confused by all the very similar models. Budget isn't a massive issue but prob wouldn't spend over 600, but also half looking at the gen 2 5K.

Anything I've missed folks? I saw Massdrop do a 100hz 4K but that sold out.

Oh, and no gross "Gamer" aesthetics.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eightarmedpet 4K with high refresh rate monitors are hard to find for reasonable cost. The Acer Nitro XV273K would be a good choice. There are not many IPS 4K panels with 144Hz. There are some gaming elements to its design, then again high refresh rate monitors cater to the gaming crowd.

I typically start my search with AMD FreeSync monitor list. It’s not the most up-to-date or 100% accurate but still the best resource imo. The “best-of” junk you found are unfortunately the landscape of many niches. Affiliate networks/people build or buy an aging domain then hire writers through Upwork for example to write a bunch of words from generic specs.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Also be aware the current DisplayPort spec limits most of these monitors to 4k @120hz with 8bit per channel color, unless you use 2 DP cables, and I would definitely double check any MST monitor worked with MacOS before buying

.  I went through a similar search where I wanted something that was better for gaming than my hp spectre 32.  I ended up thinking outside the box and going with the 49" Samsung CRG9 5120x1440 super ultra wide.  

Pluses are great gaming performance (tho getting games performing well enough to run at 120hz is a struggle especially in macOS), freesync/g-sync support in windows, decent HDR support in windows (tho about all I can get HDR to work in is youtube and a couple of HDR enabled games, not netflix or apple content) and lots of useable screen real estate.  Cons are mediocre pixel density (109 ppi) some slight black VA smearing, poor off-axis viewing angles, and since mojave and catalina lack sub pixel text antialiasing, small fonts don't look great in macOS.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Cheers for the input chaps. Doesnt have to go up to 120hz, even 75 would do, 100 is prob ideal. 

Couldn't go sub 2000pixels vertically. 

I wonder is CES 2020 will bring anything? 

---

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

For me the best choice:

- 2K Monitor (4k has no sense because you need also a High End GPU, 4K res. is ok for sizes that goes from 55". With Monitor 32"-34" you don't see any differences that justify the price)

- From 120Hz 

- 4/5 ms (is enough...) 

- IPS (the new VA pannels are very good but IPS is still the best. OLED is fantastic but it has the burn in issue ..and high price!!!)

- 32"+ (it depends from distance between you and the monitor...)

- HDR yes and not... (HDR is the next challenge for gaming and OS, the tech is still immature now, HDR400 has no sense, at least HDR600 eventually. Best is HDR10 - 1000)

- Curved/wide panel.. it depends from your taste and from what kind of games you prefer... 

- AMD FreeSync 2.0 (or GSync)

- 10 Bit colors

- Maybe VESA...

- Price $1000 maximum

No, this monitor doesn't exist yet eheheh... but some models that are very close with those specs are:

LG 34GK950G-B (HDR400) (Best Choice!)

ASUS ROG Swift PG349Q (No HDR, 300 Nits)

ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQR (HDR400, VA Panel)

Acer Predator X34P (No HDR, 300 Nits)

MSI Optix MPG341CQR (HDR400, VA Panel)

DELL Alienware AW3418DW (No HDR, 300 Nits)

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The Acer XV273K does dual cable 4K 144 Hz only in Windows and you loose some features in that mode. I haven't figured out how to get dual cable 4K 144Hz in macOS.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/up3218k-only-runs-at-4k.242444/post-2033203

In single cable mode, it does 4K 120Hz in either OS, plus 144Hz at lower resolution (2560x1440).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@jefniro im on pretty much the same page as you! And thanks both for the replies.

Not sure if I am missing something, or misunderstanding, but I DO think there is a need and point of high refresh 4K as you can run them normally at native res then when you game drop it down and take advantage of the refresh rate. I want retina density for work and high refresh rates for games, I can't go below 1440 vertical and can't do anything gamer.

Also looking for the moon on a stick.

---

ReplyQuote