Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
which eGPU bundle should I buy for a Mac...

which eGPU bundle should I buy for a Macbook Pro 13" 2017? (Gaming and coding)  

RSS

(@sebastian_stawecki)
Jun 3, 2019 6:57 am  

Hi everybody!
I'd like to ask almost the same as @balogh_akos, which eGPU bundle should I buy for a Macbook Pro 13" 2017? (Gaming and coding) 
My current setup is the HP Omen Accelerator with the RX 580 4gb but I'd like to get a better performance.
Pros:
- RX 580 works great, didn't have major issues on MacOS/Windows Bootcamp.
- I like the extra USB ports.
Cons:
- It doesn't charge my Mac (it should, but doesn't)
- Might need a better power supply for a better GPU like Vega 56 or Radeon VII

About considering NVIDIA GPUs:
I don't need the eGPU for macOS...my plan would be switching to bootcamp for gaming after finish working on macOS. An alternative for achieving this would be, having 2 cables connected to the screen, 1 for the eGPU and the other for the macbook, so I could connect the external screen directly to the macbook and directly to the eGPU for gaming.
Pros:
- Unplugging the HDMI cable is faster than safe-ejecting the eGPU
Cons:
- You might have to connect/disconnect cables when switching OS
- If the enclosure has USB ports, I can't use them on macOS

What's the best nvidia video card for doing this without major issues? I don't want to plug the cable while windows is loading, seems tricky, is there any difference on using AMD vs NVIDIA card on bootcamp? if not, maybe I could preserve the OMEN enclosure and just buy a GTX 1070 or 1080

AMD:
I like this option because it works well on macOS and feels better when you pay for something that works, the nvidia-way (based on what I've read) looks like you're paying for an alpha product without much support and full of potential bugs.
The problem is the lack of alternatives, I think there are 2 options: Vega 56 and Radeon VII (the RX 590 isn't good enough), and I will need to buy another enclosure as well. I heard that Radeon VII is currently offering a performance similar to the Vega 56 on macOS but don't know how does it works on bootcamp.
What's the best enclosure for those 2 video cards? 
a) Mantiz Venus
b) Razer Core X Chroma
c) Razer Core X or Sonnet Breakaway

I prefer a) or b) over c) due to the extra USB ports but maybe this is a mistake and I'm sacrificing many fps.

I know I asked many questions but wanted to analyze the alternatives...so, to sum up, the main question would be:
Which combination would you choose?

@theitsage I look forward to hearing about your Core X Chroma review
@balogh_akos looks like you already have experience with a Mantiz + Nvidia, have you had the chance to test gaming on bootcamp?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

HP Omen Accelerator + RX 580 + Macbook Pro 13" 2017 no-touchbar 128gb

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jun 4, 2019 12:17 pm  

The Mantiz Venus currently at $319 is a great deal. If you were to only game with the eGPU in Boot Camp, you should go with Nvidia RTX 2060 and a 2.5" SSD installed inside the Mantiz to store games. I'd recommend the RX Vega 56 if you were to get an AMD card.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

Sebastian liked
ReplyQuote
Phoenix2063
(@phoenix2063)
Eminent Member
Jun 4, 2019 5:28 pm  

AMD Navi will be out very soon with reveal at E3 next week, Nvidia reportedly showing some new cards next week as well

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Sebastian liked
ReplyQuote