Which laptop + GPU to pick for 1440p gaming

Notifications
Clear all

Which laptop + GPU to pick for 1440p gaming  

RSS

(@david_van_eekelen)

Recently someone broke into our house and stole some electronic equipment, including my and my girlfriends laptops. My laptop was an HP Probook 440 G6. 

I'm assuming the insurance will cover the value of the stolen goods. My girlfriend didn't really use her laptop that much anyway so we'll probably buy a nice tablet for her and that'll do. 

That will leave more budget for me ( 😀 ) which is nice because although I liked the Probook, it really lacked GPU performance obviously. Recently I spent more time gaming 'on the go' (when I'm at friends' place). So that got me thinking about buying a laptop that's a bit better suited for gaming. And thats when I ended up here!

The Probook 440 G6 had all the performance I needed (as long as I stayed away from anything heavy on the GPU, that is), it was small and light enough. For my next laptop I would like some on-demand GPU power. I've been reading the eGPU comparison chart and I'll probably go for a Razer Core X. I think the Mantiz Venus would also suffice but for futureproofness I'll probaly go for the Razer. 

As for GPU: I do have a pretty solid gaming rig (not the newest but it still packs a punch with an i7-7700k and a 1080 Ti), but I regularly visit friends where I spend some hours gaming. I usually borrow a simple 1080p / 60Hz monitor from there, or I take one of my own 1440p / 60Hz monitors with me (the main monitor of my PC is a 27" 1440p 165Hz GSYNC monitor; A pretty expansive and heavy monitor so I tend to leave it where it is). 

My question then is 2-fold:

- What would be the best choice for a laptop? I'm thinking something between 13" and 15,6", 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Storage. I strongly prefer a laptop without a discrete GPU since that will only add weight, heat and noise. Laptop display doesn't have to be 4k; 1080p is fine. I would like to keep the costs of the laptop itself under €1250,- if possible (EU resident here). I've been looking at some of the Lenovo Yoga 730 models, but most of them feature a discrete GTX 1050 GPU. There's 2 options I found with a non-discrete GPU, but they only feature 8GB ram and 256GB storage.

- What GPU would be best suited for 1440p gaming? My girlfriends' PC has a GTX 1070 Ti and that seems to perform well enough on 1440p; will that also be the case if it's an eGPU?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@david_van_eekelen

Yes, stay with her 1070ti. Or get a 2070 series card, or a RX 5700 xt

The Razer blade stealth is on sale.

https://egpu.io/forums/deals/us-best-buy-500-off-2019-13-razer-blade-stealth-mercury-white-999-99/

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@david_van_eekelen The 2019 Razer Blade Stealth with Ice Lake i7-1065G7 CPU is one of the best eGPU hosts currently. At $999 sale price it’s an excellent value. You can read our buying guide on what makes an ultrabook a good eGPU host.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@david_van_eekelen)

Thanks for your replies both! The Blade Stealth looks pretty cool, and the sale price makes it all the better. I will have to wait for the insurance company to process the report first though. 

Do you know how long this offer will last? And also, do you know if Razer ships to EU? I tried looking that up, but when I select the country I live in, I get redirected to a different Razer website (EU-EN), and then the price is EUR 1280,-- (which is over USD 1400,--)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@david_van_eekelen)

I checked the Razer Blade Stealth but unfortunately the sale is only in the US store, and they do not ship to EU. In the Razer EU store the laptop is close to EUR 1700,-- so that's a no-go unfortunately. 

I've come across the HP Spectre X360 laptops, and one seems like a viable option: The HP Spectre x360 13-aw0110nd. I couldnt find a link to the product on the English HP site, but here's the Dutch HP website: https://store.hp.com/NetherlandsStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=8AQ66EA&opt=ABH&sel=NTB

They state it has:
- CPU: i5-1035G4
- RAM: 8GB DDR-4
- Ports: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3 (data transfer speed 40 Gb/s, Power Delivery 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.4)
1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A

Does that seem like a viable option?

Another option I'm currently considering is the Dell XPS 13. It's a bit more expansive than the HP Spectre X360, but it comes with an i7-10510U and 16GB of RAM. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@david_van_eekelen

They are several TB3 ultra books on sale this weekend here in the states. $200 - $300 off the regular price.

Hopefully you can wait for similar discounts to pop up there. 💶

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote