Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Which Macbook Pro late 2016 should I buy? And which enclosure?

Which Macbook Pro late 2016 should I buy? And which enclosure?  

RSS

watanabe
(@watanabe)

Hello guys!  

First of all, sorry for my English.

I'm totally noob on eGPU stuff, and I've always been a Mac user. I use OSX at work so for me a Mac is absolutely necessary.  But I am a gamer too and for my spare time I have also a Win PC desktop that really needs to be updated. 

Until a few weeks ago I wanted to buy a new desktop (for gaming and some Unity 3d and UE4 light development) and a new Macbook ( just for work ).

But in these last days I thought to simply buy a good 13" Macbook pro and a good TB3 enclosure for gaming (and Unity 3d development) only in WIN 10 via bootcamp.

I already have an EVGA GTX 1070 card (present from my wife) and I would ask to you which is the best solution for my situation.

I need 13" Macbook pro for portability issues. And I need it with 16 gb of ram and 512 Gb ssd.

But actually I'm not able to understand how big is the difference between the 13" entry model (i5 2.0 Ghz) and the 13" with TB (i5 2,9 Ghz) and if these CPU will bottleneck my GTX 1070.

I think that the dual-core i7 of 13" it's not worth the price and I know that the quad-core i7 of 15" would be the best option, but I need a 13" laptop.

In your opinion could the 13" with TB (i5 2,9 Ghz) be a good choice with the GTX 1070?  And which is the best enclosure at the moment?

I'm looking for something easy and just plug'n play, maybe Akitio Node and Razer Core are good solutions?

I will use egpu only with WIN 10 (bootcamp) and only with external display. But I need something reliable and easy to configure.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
noler
(@noler)
Eminent Member

I have the 13" TB, 16GB RAM, 512GB, 2,9GHz-version. I'm very satisfied, I also got it for portability.
I use it with the Akitio Thunder 3 (moded with better PSU) and half length EVGA GTX 1060. Works like a charm.

I got the Thunder 3 because it's the smallest best looking TB3-enclosure out there. But your GTX 1070 won't fit without physical modification so I'd say go for the Node.

Also keep in mind that the pascal cards wont work under macOS (only via Windows in bootcamp).

2016 13" TB + Akitio Thunder3 with EVGA GTX 1060

ReplyQuote
watanabe
(@watanabe)

Posted by: noler

I have the 13" TB, 16GB RAM, 512GB, 2,9GHz-version. I'm very satisfied, I also got it for portability.
I use it with the Akitio Thunder 3 (moded with better PSU) and half length EVGA GTX 1060. Works like a charm.

I got the Thunder 3 because it's the smallest best looking TB3-enclosure out there. But your GTX 1070 won't fit without physical modification so I'd say go for the Node.

Also keep in mind that the pascal cards wont work under macOS (only via Windows in bootcamp).

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I know that pascal cards only work in WIN, and that's fine for my needs: I will work in Illustrator/Photoshop in OSX during the day and play games in WIN 10 with egpu (and external display) at home.

Just a few questions ( as you have a card of  10XX series similar to mine):

- Configuration of the Akitio in windows is simple ( and for simple I mean almost plug and play )?

- Have you experienced situations where the i5 CPU has bottlenecked your GPU?

- In your opinion the i5 dual-core of 13" TB is much less powerful than i7 quad-core of 15" TB with games?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
t0panka
(@t0panka)

About 13inch with and without Touch Bar. The one without is basically new Air so dont be fooled with that name. It has:

- 15W CPU compared to 28W

- also less GHz

- little bit weaker iGPU - Iris 540 compared to 550

- slower RAM - 1866MHz vs 2133MHz

- 2 wi-fi antenas compared to 3 (i think less microphones too but im not sure)

- only 2 TB3 ports

- only 1 fan inside compared to 2 (inside it is a lot different)

- bigger battery (this is only advantage)

- OH and no Touch Bar .)

EDIT: @watanabe i was worried a little about that dualcore too but not anymore after this video:

He is running it on Macbook Air and 1060 + games (or maybe whole Windows) from HDD!

ReplyQuote
harkonnen
(@mehenn)
Estimable Member

From my personal experience. If you want heavy lifting forget the 13". I have the top spec model (i7 3.3, 16g, etc) and works like a charm. But then when I need CPU the dual core starts to show its limit (I compare it with my late 2015 quad core i7 2.2). Do not expect to blow your mind or to bottleneck your eGPU. If you want CPU, get a 15" or something else (iMac 5k, hackintosh, etc). But per portability, if you already wanna spend 2k on a mac, stretch a bit get the top spec. Every little bit helps. 

It all depends on your needs.

For example my wife uses a mid 2013 Air with 4gb of ram. She never complains and she is very happy. It's working like a Chrome Book for her. Text editors, browsing, etc. The battery seems to last forever. I barely see her charging it.

My son had a 13" late 2011 dual 2.8 with 4gb. He was playing Minecraft and Terarria. The complains levels got so high that I actually donated my mid 2014 15" with 750M and he is happy now. 

So I ended up with his laptop. I upgraded it to SSD and 16GB of ram and worked like a charm. And its a 2011 book that you can get with 300$ from eBay! The battery kept for 1-2 days movie watching and light work. But when I tried the CPU part of it, used to the quad core I sensed the difference. Instead of running 3-4 Eve Online clients (that was my benchmark) I could run only 1 or 2. Basically each client used 1 core and 1 core was left for system and other stuff. I got the top spec 13" and I like it. But its the same machine as the 2011 one just a bit faster. Still 2 cores. Not 4. Just browse Geekbench, a dual core reaches high 8000 while a 2015 quad core reaches mid 13000 score.

It is all about your expectations 😀 

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (TB3 to TB2 adapter) (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12.3
late-2016 13" MBP + Quadro M2000/FirePro WX5100/GTX750-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3
(Custom Thunder cables)

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

From what I gather the latest Akitio Node firmware seems to fix any incompatibility issues with MacOS. I actually messaged Akitio directly on Facebook and asked if I'd be able to get a Node early if I paid extra, I paid 100 for shipping and got it a month ago. 

ReplyQuote
watanabe
(@watanabe)

Posted by: t0panka

About 13inch with and without Touch Bar. The one without is basically new Air so dont be fooled with that name. It has:

- 15W CPU compared to 28W

- also less GHz

- little bit weaker iGPU - Iris 540 compared to 550

- slower RAM - 1866MHz vs 2133MHz

- 2 wi-fi antenas compared to 3 (i think less microphones too but im not sure)

- only 2 TB3 ports

- only 1 fan inside compared to 2 (inside it is a lot different)

- bigger battery (this is only advantage)

- OH and no Touch Bar .)

EDIT: @watanabe i was worried a little about that dualcore too but not anymore after this video:

He is running it on Macbook Air and 1060 + games (or maybe whole Windows) from HDD!

Thanks for reply, 

my idea was to buy a 13" i7 dual-core and there are a lot of vids on Youtube of people that plays good with very hardware-stress games like The Witcher 3 and GTAIV...

And basically I need the egpu setup just for gaming and light develop with Unity 3d and UE 4 engines.

But actually I am very uncertain, probably a better option could be waiting for more tests...

ReplyQuote
watanabe
(@watanabe)

Posted by: Mehenn

From my personal experience. If you want heavy lifting forget the 13". I have the top spec model (i7 3.3, 16g, etc) and works like a charm. But then when I need CPU the dual core starts to show its limit (I compare it with my late 2015 quad core i7 2.2). Do not expect to blow your mind or to bottleneck your eGPU. If you want CPU, get a 15" or something else (iMac 5k, hackintosh, etc). But per portability, if you already wanna spend 2k on a mac, stretch a bit get the top spec. Every little bit helps. 

It all depends on your needs.

For example my wife uses a mid 2013 Air with 4gb of ram. She never complains and she is very happy. It's working like a Chrome Book for her. Text editors, browsing, etc. The battery seems to last forever. I barely see her charging it.

My son had a 13" late 2011 dual 2.8 with 4gb. He was playing Minecraft and Terarria. The complains levels got so high that I actually donated my mid 2014 15" with 750M and he is happy now. 

So I ended up with his laptop. I upgraded it to SSD and 16GB of ram and worked like a charm. And its a 2011 book that you can get with 300$ from eBay! The battery kept for 1-2 days movie watching and light work. But when I tried the CPU part of it, used to the quad core I sensed the difference. Instead of running 3-4 Eve Online clients (that was my benchmark) I could run only 1 or 2. Basically each client used 1 core and 1 core was left for system and other stuff. I got the top spec 13" and I like it. But its the same machine as the 2011 one just a bit faster. Still 2 cores. Not 4. Just browse Geekbench, a dual core reaches high 8000 while a 2015 quad core reaches mid 13000 score.

It is all about your expectations 😀 

The fact is that I will use egpu for gaming purposes only and a light development with Unity 3d and UE 4.

And only when I am home. 

During the day I use just office apps / browsing / light photo editing.

So my ideal solution is a ligth laptop and a good egpu with 1070/1080... but I have to be sure that this setup will give me the chance to play next games at medium/high setting for next 3 years.

ReplyQuote
Natasha
(@natasha)
Eminent Member

Guys, does Node work with 2016 late MacBook Pro with 455 Radeon in MacOS and Window? Somebody try it ?

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member

Yes the node, when updated to its latest firmware, works with the 2016 macbook pro

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: watanabe

And which is the best enclosure at the moment?

I'm looking for something easy and just plug'n play, maybe Akitio Node and Razer Core are good solutions?

I will use egpu only with WIN 10 (bootcamp) and only with external display. But I need something reliable and easy to configure.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Suggest get a TI83-base enclosure with internal PSU that's large enough to host your GTX1070 from this shortlist derived from https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/#tb3-enclosures :

AKiTiO Node, PowerColor Devil Box, Asus XG Station 2 or Mantiz Venus

Look out for a special eGPU.io subscriber only deal on the Mantiz Venus, which has much more docking features than the Node, inc laptop charging capacity.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote