Which Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti cards will fit into Akitio Node?

Notifications
Clear all

Which Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti cards will fit into Akitio Node?  

RSS

skatephoto
(@skatephoto)

Hi. Looking to build a eGPU for rendering in Davinci based on Akitio Node and Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti card. A bit overwhelmed with a diversity of 1080 Ti cards. Looking for the best option that can fit into the Akitio Node box. Price can be any, looking for the best compatibility and performance.

Beforehand thankful, Nikolay.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jaye
 Jaye
(@jaye)
Eminent Member

Hi, I've changed my Strix 1080 to Strix 1080 Ti - this new card larger of course.. It will fit into Akitio, but it will be very tight - higher noise and temperature level if enclosure closed. I did some modifications to cover - made some "stylish" circular holes on side - now it works awesome. I'll post pictures soon. 

P.S. without cover strix 1080 ti works perfectly fine. 

2017 13" HP Spectre 13" x360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10
2016 15" Asus UX501VW GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: skatephoto

Hi. Looking to build a eGPU for rendering in Davinci based on Akitio Node and Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti card. A bit overwhelmed with a diversity of 1080 Ti cards. Looking for the best option that can fit into the Akitio Node box. Price can be any, looking for the best compatibility and performance.

Hey Nikolay, I'm using The MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI. It fits perfectly (with or without Node cover). I prefer to leave the cover off because the LEDs look pretty cool in the dark!

Capto Capture 2017 08 05 12 31 58 PM

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
skatephoto
(@skatephoto)

Posted by: DANgerous25

Hey Nikolay, I'm using The MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI. It fits perfectly (with or without Node cover). I prefer to leave the cover off because the LEDs look pretty cool in the dark!

Is it MSI GTX 1080 TI GAMING X Video Graphic Cards? Is it enough space with the lid closed for ventilation?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)

ReplyQuote
av2006
(@av2006)

You can easily fit a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini in the eGPU box as it is a compact graphics card with small form factor.

ReplyQuote
drax392
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming in my Node, no fitment problems whatsoever.

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

ReplyQuote
plato
(@plato)

Posted by: DANgerous25

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this post, but in Akitio's website it says MSI Gaming 1080 Ti 11G is shown as not compatible with a note:
"When under heavy load, the overload protection of the Node kicks in and cuts off the power."

Did you see this problem? I bought an Akitio Node without checking there.. I also have a GTX 780 Ti, which I think would work without problem but I really want to use 1080 Ti in this case when I need it.

ReplyQuote
richard10250
(@richard10250)

Plato -

From the photo it seems obvious that the installed power supply is not the original unit. Thus I don't think the Akitio website caution applies.

I am currently in the midst of changing out the power supply in my Node to lower the fan noise. Later today I will be installing a Corsiar SF600 small form factor power supply.

Just my two cents.

ReplyQuote
plato
(@plato)

Hi,

Just wanted to inform you about my experience.. I bought ZOTAC ZBOX MI572, put a 16GB RAM and Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB HDD inside. Installed Windows 10 and upgraded to 1703. Installed all the drivers and connected to Akitio Node. FYI, as I explained before I put MSI Gaming 1080Ti in it.. It fit without any problem. The fans are ok etc... First PC gave me a warning that TB3 port is not compatible with eGPU.. When I checked, it said External GPUs supported as "No".. But it worked anyway.. After bringing up the screen via displayport I set it as primary display and set the secondary display ( Intel on HDMI port of the same display ) as disabled. The only problem is if I want to see bios screens etc. I have to switch my display to HDMI port.. This is not a problem for me.. Of course because only Windows sees the display after boot, before Windows boots nothing shows on the screen...

As you may already know from my previous post in Akitio's website it says MSI Gaming 1080Ti has problems with Node. To test it I brought up FurMark and waited for a while to monitor temperature and power.. At the beginning it was about 30C. After a while it was ~80C but still no problem.. 

The biggest hurdle was noise.. When in a case MSI is pretty silent even after 100% fan speed. But as far as I see it's not very good with Node. It was too loud. So, I tried something. My desk is beside a cabinet which I store parts and my external disks. I cut a hole on the side of the cabinet and put all my external devices in the cabinet. While I knew it would be dangerous I put the node inside the cabinet and closed the doors.

Again I executed FurMark and waited for a while. This time temperature was about 91-92C. I know too hot but at least there was no noise... I didn't wait for it to go more than that though. No need to risk it and especially when the card began throttling the speed no reason..

Well, this tests were not a real-usage test, so I opened up Frostpunk and played it for a while ( I mean for a few days.. I really recommend that game ). It gone up to 83C after a while and stayed there. Again this was in a closed cabinet.

I bought MI572 and Akitio Node because my motherboard is failed and it's in repair. I wanted to see if a Mini-PC would take over my gaming PC's place and I could certainly say, yes it can.. When I browse the internet the GPU fan is disabled, and the Node's and MI572's fans are almost silent.. It was perfect.. When gaming while the noise could still be heard from within the cabinet, it's not too much.. 

I don't really know why Akitio says it's not compatible with this GPU. As far as I see the overload protection doesn't kick in.. The reason could be this though. I connected the Node to MI572 and MI572 doesn't need any power from this box. If you use a notebook which gets the power from TB3 port and if you put Node in this port, then it may fail to supply power to both notebook and GPU.

BTW, the only negative part on MI572 is it doesn't have any NVMe slots on it ( it does have an M.2 but only supports SATA ). i7-7700T is pretty fast. You can add up to 32 GBs of memory and there are two SATA slots ( one of them M.2 ). There are plenty of USB3 and 3.1 (TB3) ports + SD card slot which could be useful.. 

Anyway, this was my experience.

TL;DR: Akitio Node works perfectly with MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G if(?) the PC it's connected to doesn't need any power from the TB3 port.

ReplyQuote