Will the Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box work on MacOS High Sierra? For light gaming a...

Notifications
Clear all

Will the Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box work on MacOS High Sierra? For light gaming and AutoCad  

RSS

Daisaku
(@daisaku)
Eminent Member

As of right now, I'm debating between building a PC with similar specs to the 2016 15" MacBook Pro + eGPU but not sure which one is worth it when it comes to moderate gaming and autoCad work. If the Aorus GTX 1070 gaming box is worth it on the long run, is there anything i should know before ordering external gpu for my mac? Or are there any other alternatives eGPU more suitable for macs?  I'm very new to the eGPU things 😛

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fred_K
(@fred_k)
Eminent Member

Hey, 

When considering wether to buy an eGPU or a desktop, ask yourself if you need the system to be portable. The Aorus is a great value per dollar and should work with the 2016 MBP

For gaming, a PC desktop will perform better and be the better value here. However if you are like me, and need the portability of a laptop and at the same time want high graphics performance, an eGPU is the perfect solution. It all depends on your needs and the money you are willing to spend. 

Both Nvidia and AMD will work with an eGPU setup. You should know that as of now native eGPU support is a beta feature of mac OS. To get the eGPU working, you need to run some specific programs as written in the setup guides on egpu.io
As of now we expect Apple to release full support for eGPU with AMD cards in the next OS version which will be presented this summer (Fall release)(Nvidia support might also come).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Daisaku and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Daisaku
(@daisaku)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the reply! 

Yep, I need the portability of a laptop due to university work but would like to have a somewhat of a workstation at home where I can finish up my CAD projects or video editing. 

I've already looking around and read over the guide when it comes to setting up eGPU with High Sierra. Are there also any other guides when it comes to eGPU setups (videos would also be great)? I want to understand as much as possible before proceeding to prepare the eGPU setup. Thanks! 

ReplyQuote